Frequently Asked Questions
|Help with Learning Ally (formerly RFB&D) AudioPlus® DAISY books|
1. Do I have to order my materials from USIMAC? No.
LEAs are welcome to procure/produce the materials on their own. However, the materials must be procured or produced by someone that will meet the accessible needs of the student. If a District chooses to procure or produce the items themselves they will then be responsible for 100% of the cost. If they choose to use USIMAC, they will receive a 25% discount on all orders.
- All USIMAC Braillist and Braille Proofreaders are LOC Certified in Literary and Nemeth.
- All materials created by USIMAC are put through a rigorous double proofreading process to ensure accuracy.
- Special Education Directors are only required to pay for 75% of the cost of procurement/production if ordered through USIMAC. USIMAC will pay for the other 25% of the cost.
3. If I have a Learning Ally (RFB&D) account, do I have to have my books downloaded through USIMAC? No.
If your District already has an account, you are welcome to download the books yourself and burn them to a CD or place them on an SD card. This is a service that USIMAC provides to help with the technical production. (Keep in mind that if you choose to use USIMAC, you are only responsible for 75% of the cost. If you download it yourself, you are responsible for 100% of the cost.)
All Large Print materials must be scanned and cleaned up using a computer process to eliminate any unclean lines or excess “garbage” that could potentially confuse the student. This process makes the printed line clean and readable.
If possible, we highly recommend acquiring a syllabus for each student’s class ahead of time in order to best determine which chapters are needed. You can order either the entire book or just the chapters the student needs.
Book orders are processed and produced in the order they are received, so even though it can take up to 3 months to complete a book, production may not begin on every book as soon as it is received.