USIMAC Policy and Procedure

 

Utah State Instructional Materials Access Center
(USIMAC)

The Policies and Procedures of the USIMAC

The Utah State Instructional Materials Access Center (USIMAC) is the state resource for accessible alternate format instructional materials. The USIMAC is committed to assisting administrators, teachers, and students in creating and supporting literacy and numeracy resources and opportunities.

 


Contents:

Establishing Eligibility
Ordering
Production and Cancellation
Distribution and Invoicing
Financing
Payment Methods for Accessible Materials

 

Establishing Eligibility

The LEAs are responsible for determining student Chafee eligibility. The USIMAC will produce alternate format instructional materials for students with demonstrated print disabilities.

  • The LEA fills out the Chafee Eligible Referral Form for each student.
  • The USIMAC will confirm the Chafee Eligible Referral Form has been completed. (Chafee eligibility refers only to those students who will benefit from access to NIMAS files.)


Ordering

All orders received and approved by the LEA Special Education Director by April 1st will be completed by the first day of school. Orders received after this date will be completed in the order they are received.

  • The LEA determines which book(s) their student(s) need and which accessible format(s) are required.
  • The LEA fills out the Textbook Request Form for each student.
  • Once the order is received, the USIMAC will send an email confirmation.
    • If an email confirmation is not received within 2 business days, please contact the USIMAC Customer Service line at (801) 629-4811 to ensure the order was received.
  • The USIMAC will email an order status and/or prepare an estimated quote based on the alternate format availability. Contact will be maintained with the ordering individual and the LEA Special Education Director.
    • ¬†Materials available through the ERC or American Printing House for the Blind (APH) are provided at no cost to the LEA. The USIMAC will email the ordering individual and Special Education Director the order status.
    • Materials procured by outside vendors or produced by the USIMAC will have an estimated quote emailed to the ordering individual and the LEA Special Education Director.
    • To develop a quote, a hard copy of the book to be produced is required from the LEA.
  • The order will not be procured or produced until written approval from the Special Education Director has been obtained and emailed to orders@usimac.org.
  • Once the USIMAC has received the order, the approval, and a hard copy of the book (if necessary), the order is complete and the USIMAC will begin procurement or production.
    • Until all criteria have been met, the order will remain incomplete and therefore will not be produced.
    • The USIMAC will follow up with the ordering individual and the LEA Special Education Director to confirm status of order.


Production and Cancellation

Production and procurement will continue until the orders are completed or cancelled.

  • Production will commence upon receipt of the LEA Special Education Director's approval.
  • Once approved by the LEA Special Education Director, the book will be cut and scanned for production.
  • Please note that once a book has begun procurement/production, should the LEA decide to cancel their order, the LEA Special Education Director will be charged for any costs incurred prior to our receiving notice of cancellation. The USIMAC will provide the LEA with the total cost incurred as soon as cancellation is received.


Distribution and Invoicing

The Educational Resource Center (ERC) will act as the repository and distribution center for all accessible alternate instructional materials. Invoicing can be expected when the materials are received.

  • After the material has been procured or produced by the USIMAC, it is sent to the ERC to be cataloged, processed, and checked out to the ordering LEA.
  • The books are shipped to the address identified on the original Textbook Request Form.
    • The USIMAC will ship all materials "Free Matter for the Blind" when possible.
    • All shipped materials will be sent certified mail for tracking purposes.
    • The LEAs are responsible for shipping costs.
  • When the materials are shipped, the LEA will receive an invoice for 75% of the cost of the materials.
    • If the LEA chooses to retain the materials, they may be purchased for the remaining 25% of the cost.
    • If the LEA chooses not to retain the materials then they are due back to the ERC by June 30th of the current school year.
  • All invoices are due within 30 days of their receipt.


Financing

As the USIMAC moves forward the financial obligations of USIMAC will be reviewed annually with the USOE and USDB administrations.

  • The need for differentiation in revenue streams will be reviewed annually based on the prior year's production history.
  • The current year anticipated and received orders will be considered in the annual review and USIMAC budget development.
  • Additional funds may be requested from the legislature during the annual budget appropriation process.


Payment Methods for Accessible Materials

Books published before 2006

  • Referral for a Brailled book published before August 2006 will be made to the USIMAC and a search will go out for that book.
  • If the book has been Brailled at some earlier time and is available in the USIMAC repository, that copy will be sent.
  • If the book has been Brailled by the American Printing House for the Blind (APH), that book will be ordered using federal quota funds.
  • If the book is not available from APH, but has been Brailled by another national producer, the book will be purchased by USIMAC.
  • LEAs will pay for the Brailled book at the rate of 75% of the actual cost. USIMAC will pay the other 25% of the cost, provided the entire book is then returned to USIMAC for further use.
  • If the book is not available in Braille, USIMAC will make arrangements for the book to be Brailled. LEAs will pay for the Brailled book at the rate of 75% of the actual cost for production. USIMAC will pay the other 25% of the cost, provided the entire book is then returned to USIMAC for further use.

Books published after August 2006

  • Referral for a book to be Brailled will be made to the USIMAC and a search will go out for that book. Steps as above for books published before August 2006 will be followed.
  • If the book is not available in Braille, the file set is requested and receive from the NIMAC.
  • USIMAC will make arrangements for the book to be Brailled.
  • LEAs will pay for the Brailled book at the rate of 75% of the actual production cost.¬† USIMAC will pay the other 25% of the production cost, provided the entire book is then returned to USIMAC for further use.

LEAs can arrange to order directly from the publisher or producer. LEAs will then be responsible to pay the entire cost of the Braille book.

Once an LEA has paid the initial cost of a brailled book:

  • If another LEA wishes to purchase the same book they may do so at 50% of the cost of the original book, paid to the LEA who ordered the original book.
  • This process of receiving 50% of the cost of the brailled book may continue as the third LEA wishes to purchase the same book at 50% of the cost to the second LEA, etc.
  • The USIMAC will keep the records of who owns the brailled book as it is after each LEA no longer needs the book.
  • In the event that an LEA requires the use of any materials they have paid for in a previous school year, that LEA will have first rights to the materials as long as their requests are received prior to the April 1 ordering deadline of the current school year.

Referral and payment for large print materials will follow the same process as for Brailled books.

Requests for audio books will be accessed through the Recordings for the Blind and Dyslexic (RFB&D). Membership is required and must be paid for by the LEA.

 

 

Download as a pdf